The Story Tree

The Story Tree
by Angela Raines

I found the story tree not by accident, but by being called to where it stood.

I was driving through my favorite park. It was a warm sunny day. The car window was down to cut the heat coming from the sun. I had taken a new route through and was about to take the turn out of the park when I heard a crying coming from my left. I slowed and tried to focus on where the sound came from. Unable to pinpoint the location I pulled into a parking lot and got out of the car.

I stood listening. A few minutes later the sound came again. This time I heard a “please help”. The sound came from the left. I started moving in that direction-thinking maybe someone had fallen and was hurt or stuck. The many trails through the park were always busy. Occasionally someone would wander from the path, but it had been a long time since a situation where someone's life was threatened. Of course there was always a chance. That was the reason why I was following the voice.

I walked along the trail, watching for signs of an accident. Seeing nothing I continued on and heard the voice again. It was still coming from the left, and it appeared to be behind a bunch of brush and rocks. I wasn’t sure what I could do but the voice was insistent. Through the brush, over the rocks I climbed and still the voice was ahead of me. Finally climbing over a rock wall about 8 feet high there before me was nothing but this lone, old, majestic tree. There was nothing else except the grass, a few dead branches and small boulders. I could see no one, but I raised my voice and called. “Hello, it anyone here.”

I received an answer, but not from where I thought. In front of me I heard a “Thank you for coming. I have been waiting for so long sending out my call and no one has answered.”

I looked around expecting someone to jump out from behind the rocks or tree. Nothing. There was no one, nothing around. I stood listening. I could not figure out where the sound was coming from. Again I heard “It’s me who called you. I am so glad someone finally heard my call.”

By now I was getting a bit spooked. “Who is that talking?” I called.

“It’s me, right in front of you, the tree.”

“It isn’t April 1st so what or who is playing this joke?” I demanded.

“This is no joke, I called and you were the one who answered. I have to tell my tale before my time is through and finally someone answered. I was beginning to despair that no one would hear and all my knowledge would be lost.” the tree seemed to be saying.

“OK, I’ll bite” I grudgingly said. “What's going on?”

“As you can see I am in an area all by myself. I have been here for longer than I care to think about, but I have been unable to communicate my story to anyone. I have just continued to exist wondering if I would ever be able to pass on” the voice said with a mournful tone. “Since you heard my call you must be the one who is to hear my story and mark it. Will you stay for awhile and listen to what I am compelled to say?”

“At this point you have my undivided attention. There are a few hours of afternoon left” I grudgingly replied.

Thus began what was to be a long and fascinating story.

TO BE CONTINUED......


All rights reserved. This story is the sole property of the author. It may not be copied or published without the permission of the author. This blog or blog address may be forwarded with this information included in the forwarding.
copywrite 10-2010 by Doris McCraw

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "AHA" Book Marketing Moments

Autumn Creek Part 1

The Story Tree Story 2