The Story Tree Story 2

As I sat down at the base of the tree, I took a deep breath and prepared to hear what the tree had to say. I leaned back against the trunk and then I heard the trees voice in my head.

“Since you reacted the way you did last time, I have decided to just tell you this story.”

“They're your stories, I'm willing to hear them however you wish to share.”

I heard the tree take a deep breath and then in a quiet voice started the story.

“She always arrived from the East. When I first saw her she was so young. There was a spring in her step and a smile in her eyes. The tune she hummed was sad but fun. The sun created pearls in her hair which was the color of autumn leaves. Her curls bounced with each step.”

As the tree spoke I could see a young girl, maybe three years old walking toward me. I knew it was what the tree was seeing and I silently thanked him for allowing a least part of what he saw come through to me.

The trees voice continued. “The grass barely noticed her passing. Each blade bending and springing back as her bare feet felt of the earth. Week after week, year after year I watched as she blossomed into a fine person. Her smile never ceased to comfort and make me happy to be alive, even though I was stuck in this same spot. The years flew as I watched her grow and I looked forward to each and every visit.”

Again the vision of a young woman floated into my mind. I couldn't quite make out her face, but the feeling I received was one of joy and peace.

“In all the time she never spoke to me but I knew she felt something for this place. It was not like you, she wasn't able to hear my thoughts. To tell you the truth, very few people can, and those who do run away as if they were imagining it.”

“She never ran, instead she seemed to think of this place as a sanctuary.”

“Finally there came a week when she didn't come. That was followed by another then another. I was beginning to think that something had happened or that she didn't need me or this place anymore.”

I could here the sadness and loss in the voice that was in my mind. I found myself wondering what had happened. Had she died or maybe left the area?”

“Neither,” the tree answered. “When I saw her again she had lost her smile. Her shoulders drooped and her steps were hesitant. I so wanted to know what as wrong, but had no way of asking.”

“All of a sudden I saw the tears in her eyes. Those eyes that had been so joyful and happy now reflected the love she didn't have. I saw the others shunning her, leaving her out of their games. I saw the mother who wouldn't talk to her. Why I was able to see that when I hadn't been able to see anything before surprised and saddened me.”

As the vision materialized in my mind yet again I found myself crying. I was seeing and feeling what the tree was receiving from the now young woman.

“Then as she looked at me the smile returned. Her shoulders straightened and she looked directly at me.”

Smiling she said “You have always been here alone but you don't seem lonely. Your lesson is not lost. I thank you.”

With those words she turned and started walking. This time however she didn't return the way she had come, but continued on to the west.. The smile in her eyes, the spring in her step, the sun......”

“I am so sorry,” I said to the tree.

“There have been many people and many stories, it is the way that the cycle of life is. Although I may be sad, I have the memories and now thanks to you I have someone to share them with. As long as someone remembers the people never die.”

I thought about that for some time as I sat there and realized the tree was right. As long as someone hears and remembers the stories, they remain alive.

“I look forward to the next story.” I smiled and headed west.

The End of Story 2

This story is the sole property of the author. It may not be copied or published without the permission of the author. This blog or blog address may be forwarded with this information included in the forwarding.copyright 2-2011 by Doris McCraw writing as Angela Raines

Comments

  1. Lovely story -- the point is so true; as long as someone is remembered, they are never truly gone. Remember those you loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked the story. This one seemed to just flow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "AHA" Book Marketing Moments

Autumn Creek Part 1