Autumn Creek Part 1

by Angela Raines

When I arrived on the stage it was a cold, over cast day. My parents had died the past summer and I found that I could not and did not want to maintain the family farm. Henry had wanted the farm and me. I gave him the choice and he chose the farm. That did little for my self-confidence, but I sold the farm and used the proceeds to the travel to west fork of Autumn Creek in the Colorado Territory. The little settlement on the creek was called Fairview. I was hoping it lived up to its name.

The house I had rented site unseen was at the edge of the settlement. It had been the home of a family who had died of the fever three years ago. As I opened the door there was dust everywhere. Still the roof seemed sound and with a bit of work it looked like it would clean up nicely.

I had a funds, but they would not last long. I needed to look for a way of earning a living. There was little I could do, but perhaps taking in sewing or maybe cooking. Nice jobs that a woman would do. At least back home they were jobs a woman would do. Here I was not so sure. I couldn't ride or rope and I didn't want to ranch, for that was too much like farming.

After settling in I headed out toward the center of town. All around I saw women in their calico's and bonnets. My traveling outfit was dusty from the stage ride, much like my new home. You could hardly tell it was blue, it looked like some shade of yellow/gray. I had tried dusting it off, but that was an exercise in uselessness. As I walked to the mercantile I was greeted with pleasant nods and understanding smiles. These were the people who would be my neighbors and possibly my customers.

Entering the store I was assailed with the odor of leather, pickles and some others I couldn't put a name to. The owner, John Swan, greeted me as I stepped up to the counter.

“Afternoon, you the new resident in town? I saw you get off the stage and head to the old Isaac house.”

“Yes I am. I have come to buy some cleaning supplies. It seems the only residents of that property have been spiders and mice.” I replied.

“Well I try to stock most of what folks would need. You just look around and if you can't find something let me know. If I don't have it somewhere I suppose I could order it for you. Should only take a few weeks if it is coming from back east.” He smiled.

I found what I needed, paid for them and headed back to the house. I hoped to get things straightened out enough so that I could spend the night there. If not, I would have to pay for a room in the boarding house. It looked nice enough, but this was my home and I wanted to stay there.

#####

The days passed quickly and the town lived up to its name. The valley where the creek meandered through was beautiful. There were cottonwoods, poplars and so many different plants that I wondered if I would ever learn the name of all of them. The people were friendly and I soon had enough work that I was able to provide nicely for myself.

As the creek started to ice over at night I knew that I was facing my first real test. When I wasn't baking or sewing I was out chopping wood and generally preparing for the upcoming winter. That was when it happened.

I had just finished bringing in a load of wood and had my evening meal on the table. As I sat down someone began to bang on the door. I got up, opened the door and there stood Henry.

**to be continued in August**

copyright 2010 by Doris McCraw writing as Angela Raines

Comments

  1. Yes, I do want to know what happens next! But whatever it is, I think she should give they guy the old heave-ho. She's got a backbone, and she doesn't need him. Even if he begs. Let him beg, let her tell him she's fine on her own and happier than she's ever been (or at least more content!) and that his problems are his problems. Then let her do something --- Hmmm, on the stage? (or did you mean the stageCOACH to Fairview? silly me) That is where you started, yes? And be a spectacular success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lori for the suggestions. As I write this story I find I am drawn more and more into where it is going. It will not be a short short, this I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in seeing how this will end. I think exactly how she reacts to Henry's presence will have to be determined by why he's there. What does he want? Money? Her? Did he lose the farm? I think he had has chance with her and she should send him away. The only possible reason she wouldn't would be if he decided the farm without her wasn't worth anything (even though he'd made a success of it) and so he sold it, or was preparing to sell it if she would take him back. He wouldn't be a failure and would show that he has true love for her and doesn't just want her money or success. One thought, I'm not sure how long this is going to be, but maybe let us see a little more interactions with people so we "know" how well entrenched and accepted she is in this town? Just a thought. I really like this. Don't forget to let us know at CHP when you finish it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to see where this is going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "AHA" Book Marketing Moments

The Story Tree Story 2