My "AHA" Book Marketing Moments

 Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines

(C) Doris McCraw

When my book, "The Outlaw's Letter" was released I had a built-in audience. This was the second book I'd written with a group of authors in their 'Lockets & Lace' series and the third overall. Therefore, a majority of the marketing was a group effort. Yet, I write slowly and my books need a long shelf life, so what could I do?

Fate provided some interesting lessons. The first came from a friend. My friend Dianne, who has an online store: Blanche's Place told me she'd contacted the town of Tin Cup about possibly carrying the book. Talk about an eye-opener.

I hadn't thought about people wanting to read a story that took place in their town. However, when I thought about it, the idea made sense. I always include real history in the stories so, why not?

The second lesson was something Judith Briles, The Book Shephard has mentioned more than once. What 'pain' does the story I offer ease in my reader? In the case of "The Ourlaw's Letter" it is not only romance, but also pieces of history during that time.  It is a chance to relax and leave the stress of life behind.

Yes, I write the stories I want to tell. But, having done that it behooves me to market to the readers who will benefit from what I've written.

(C) Doris McCraw

Like my nonfiction book, "Under the Stone" which is a local history book, its story can go beyond just Colorado Springs. There are a number of women doctors whose stories I tell. The market could include historians, women's studies organizations, and the hometowns/counties where these women were born or lived. Will all these places be a good fit? Probably not, but why would I cut myself off without trying?

If you are serious about marketing your books, don't limit yourself to the standard practice. Think outside the norm. Give your book, yourself, and your potential readers a chance.

Once that idea floodgate was opened I've been traveling down some interesting roads. I wish you as much fun as I've been having.

Until Next Time: Stay safe, Stay happy, and Stay healthy. 

Doris

Comments

  1. Great! So few readers and so difficult to market these days. And some 4-6 million books published each year, and 2.5 million self published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is almost a full time job. Sharing what works will hopefully help others. That's my goal. I want authors to succeed. Doris

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Creek Part 1

The Story Tree Story 2