The Ride

The Ride
by Angela Raines

“Did you call a cab?”

“You know I did, in fact you're ten minutes early.”

“Hey, I couldn't wait to pick up my favorite fare. By the way, you look really good in the shade of blue. It matches your eyes.”

“Thank you for the compliment. You are looking rather dashing in your yellow shirt.”

“Right back at ya'! So where do you want to go today?”

“Let's just drive and when I feel like stopping I'll let you know.”

“Hey, you're payin' so what you say goes. Which way you want to go first?”

“Let's head downtown. By the way, I have loved the stories you tell as we drive along. I especially liked the one about your being shot. Was that really true?”

“Here's the scare on my elbow where I pulled the bullet out 'cause the hospital couldn't take the time.”

“Stop here. I want to see what's new at the jewelery shop.”

“You want me to wait?”

“If you would, please.”

“Aspen tree stands tall. Stream flowing through pale green grass. Blue skies frame pictures. That ain't too bad. Maybe I should be a taxi drivin' poet?”

“What were you saying?”

“I wrote a poem while I was waiting for you. Want to hear it?”

“I would love to.”

“Aspen tree stands tall. Stream flowing through pale green grass. Blue skies frame pictures. What da' ya think?”

“Not bad. Stop here.”

“A bagel shop?”

“Yes. Would you like one?”

“A cheese bagel sounds mighty nice.”

“I'll be right back out.”

“Life's a gift you have to sing, People a joy for gifts they bring.”

“Here's your bagel. Now I suppose you are going to tell me you're a singer.”

“Hey, singin' is better than bein' robbed. This one time in New York, while I was drivin' a cab there, this guy he pulls a knife and says to pull over. Now, you don't pull no weapons on a cab driver, specially in New York, or even Colorado Springs here. Well I just pushed on the gas pedal then slammed on the brakes. That guy he went a sailin'. I took the knife away from him and took him to the police station.”

“You have really lived an interesting life. Providing all the stories you've told me are true. Stop here.”

“There ain't nothin' here.”

“I want to stop by a friends place just around the corner.”

“I'll wait here for you if you would like, or I can drive you over.”

“No, a bit of a walk will do me good. I want to stop a couple of places. See my attorney and stop by the bank.”

“Okay.”

“You know Clarence old man, that is one classy lady. You were a lucky man to have gotten to know her. Wonder where we will head next?”

“Clarence, is that your real name? It's not whats on your license.”

“I call myself Clarence when I am talking to myself. It makes me feel less... you know.”

“Well Clarence, it has been wonderful getting to know you. I have enjoyed our outings.”

“Hey, you plannin' on goin' somewhere?”

“Stop the cab here. If I'm not back in ten minutes, head back. Here is the fare for today.”

“You want me to come by your place tomorrow?”

“Clarence, just know that I have enjoyed our time and our outings.”

“I think I'm goin' to miss her. What's this? 'You tell such stories, I hope you can tell a tale to get out of this'.”

“Sir, will you step out of the car!”

###


Copyright 2010 by Doris A. McCraw writing as Angela Raines

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "AHA" Book Marketing Moments

Autumn Creek Part 1

The Story Tree Story 2