Autumn Creek: Conclusion

"Hello Blanche.” said Henry, “You have been a difficult person to find.”

I stood staring. What could Henry possibly want with me and why was he trying to find me? I had left that part of my life behind. In coming to Fairview I had hoped to catch up with my childhood friend Sarah. Instead I had found Sarah had already left for California, but I found I liked the mountains and the area brought me peace of mind. Now here was Henry wanting what, I didn't know.

“Aren't you going to invite me in?” he asked.

“Of course,..No. What are you doing here?” I stumbled over my thoughts and after saying yes, I knew I did not want Henry in my home.

“I came to see you.”

“Henry, you wanted the farm more than me. After the initial disappointment, I found I was pleased with the choice you had made.”

“Blanche, you loved me once. Don't tell me that has changed.”

“Henry, nothing has changed. I really never loved you. It was more my fear of being alone. Living here, I find I am completely happy with my state of affairs.”

I could see the stunned look on his face. It was no more than the truth. Coming to Fairview had been the best thing to happen in my life. I had friends, customers and a community that truly seemed to value me.

“Henry, whatever your reason for coming, it no longer applies. I wish you well, but....”

Before I had finished Henry lunged toward the door and me. I was taken off guard and fell back against the door frame. Grabbing my arm, Henry tried to propel me into the house. I pushed against him and managed to elude his grasp. Turning I ran toward the main part of town with Henry not far behind.

“Blanche! Come back. You need to return to your home You need to come back with me.” Henry shouted as he slowly caught up with me.

I continued running and soon people were coming out to see what was going on. Just as Henry grabbed me Mr. Swan came out with a broom in his hand.

“And just what do you think you are doing with Blanche, sir?” Mr. Swan asked.

“I am her fiance and have come to take her back home.”

“Blanche is this true?”

“No, Henry here decided he would rather have a farm than me. I would like to know the real reason he is here.”

Turning on Henry, both Mr. Swan and myself awaited the answer.

By this time more people had joined us. I could see Henry was uncomfortable, but I didn't care. I just couldn't understand why he grabbed for me. Although not the most considerate of people he had never been physical.

“Blanche, couldn't we go somewhere alone to talk?”

“Your recent actions indicate that would not be a safe thing to do.” I said. “But if you would like we can go to the cafe and talk there. It is a public place and I should be safe.”

He nodded his assent so we walked over to Ruth's cafe. After seating ourselves I waited for his answer.

“Blanche, I haven't done so well by myself and realized what a fool I had been to let you go. I need you. I truly want you to come back with me.”

I looked at this man who might have been my husband. He was tall, fairly good looking, but I found that I really didn't care for him. He seemed small.

“Henry, I really don't believe you. You don't really care for me. What is the real reason?”

“If you want the truth, I need you, I need someone to help me with the farm. I need someone who will be there. Please won't you reconsider and return home with me?”

I had just heard the words that I would have given anything to hear a year ago. Now I found they were hollow. There were no words of affection, not even fondness. It was all about Henry and his needs. I found I was not willing to trade the promise of protection and security for my happiness. I had found what I wanted here.

“No Henry, I will not return with you. My life is here now.”

Henry started to move toward me, but all of a sudden the residents of Fairview were there with me. They had been waiting outside, giving us our privacy, but watching out for me. Here was the protection and security I wanted.

“You are making a big mistake, you will be alone and a wretched old maid. I was willing to take you back, but not now.”

“Henry, you never had me, so how could you take me back. I will never be alone for I have true friends here. Now please leave.”

I walked out into the sunshine and my friends went with me to my home. This was where I belonged.

The End
copyright 2010 by Doris A McCraw

Comments

  1. It has been fun working on this story. Glad you have enjoyed it. Only one left for this year...then onto next years project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My "AHA" Book Marketing Moments

Autumn Creek Part 1

The Story Tree Story 2