Good-by Again
by Angela Raines

Copywrite 2010 by Doris McCraw; all rights reserved

“Jack, how can you say that?” I asked as we sat at the same table in the same coffee shop we had been visiting each Saturday for the last six months.

“Mary, I am sorry but this is the way it has to be.”

How many times had I heard those same words? Jack seemed to have problems with committing to anything. In a way that was what had drawn me to him. That sense of spontaneity, of always being ready for the new.

“I don't believe it.” I said. “Think of all the wonderful things we shared. The snow, trees, the laughter when we took that trip to the mountains. You are saying that all of that is over?”

Every time he went away he was back within a week. I wondered if this conversation was just his way of finding if I would stay with him.

This time I wouldn't play his game. When he came back I would say no way Jack. I finally realized that in spite of all the wonderful things I enjoyed about Jack and our relationship it was time for me to move on. Jack's voice brought me back from my thoughts.

“Mary, I know this is hard, but I just have to go.”

“Fine, I understand. Take care of yourself.”

I sat drinking the rest of my coffee, smiled my goodby. By my calculations it would be about thirty-six hours before the final confrontation, a Sunday afternoon.

I decided to take myself to a movie. It would also help pass the time as I waited for the showdown. A festival of old Thin Man movies was playing up the street. As I walked, I wondered how to let him down gently? No answers came to mind, so I gave up.

The idea of sitting and watching William Powell and Myrna Loy portraying the idea of the perfect couple, even if he drank too much, I realized the thing I liked about Jack, he didn't drink or do drugs. Jack's biggest fault, was Jack. He could never make up his mind or stick with anything.

Well that may not be the truth, he did stick with me, just not consistently.

Enough thinking about Jack. William and Myrna were in my immediate future. I grabbed my purse, making sure I had change and credit card to get me into the theater and buy snacks. As I dug through that black hole , I grabbed a letter that I knew I hadn't put there. Opening the envelope a black heart fell out. Nothing else just this black heart.

I checked the envelope to see if something had gotten stuck, or any writing on the envelope. Nothing. Next I checked the heart itself, again nothing. Strange, but not scary. I left it on the counter and headed out to my movies.

At the ticket counter I pulled out my credit card and payed for the evening entertainment. I saw the envelope containing a heart. It startled me. Perhaps I'd picked it up without noticing when I received my change. With a shrug I put it back in my purse and taking my ticket, headed into the movies.

I prepared for bed, after a wonderful day, I thought how great William Powell and Myrna Loy worked together. The Thin Man series was such fun. It was her money, but she loved him and he loved her, although he had a strange way of showing it. She really didn't try to change him and he returned the favor. That was the way relationships should be. If I could make Jack realize what a good thing he had, maybe he would stop running away. Well that was something for tomorrow. Now it was time to get some beauty sleep.

On Sunday, the appointed hour for Jack to return came and went. Perhaps I had misjudged him and he wasn't returning. Oh well, it was time for a new conquest anyway.

There was a knock at the door. It had to be Jack, he was just later than usual. I opened the door prepared to have my say. No one was there. Instead I saw a big black heart.

On the heart were the words, I am not going to change. Get over it!
Well I already had. Who said anything about change? I just wanted him different. I'd find someone better next time.

###

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "AHA" Book Marketing Moments

Autumn Creek Part 1

The Story Tree Story 2