Tumbleweed

Copywrite 2010 by Doris McCraw
writing as Angela Raines
All rights reserved


Tumbleweed

Some people would call me a plain old tumbleweed, but I am so much more than that. I am a Salsola tragus from the family of Amaranthaceae. I am very proud of my background. That’s why I have always wanted to show the rest of my family how special life and they could be. You see they’ve always felt that the only thing they needed to do was let the wind guide them through their life cycle. To them you were born, grow to maturity, then break off from your roots and sow your seed wherever the wind took you.

When I let those around me know what I intended they laughed, called me a fool. They didn’t think I could control fate.

“It is foolish to try to control where you land.” “Stop trying to show off, you aren’t better than any of the rest of us.” “Who do you think you are tempting fate like that, it will come to no good?”

I constantly was hearing those words and so much more. Understand I was no better or worse than the others, I simply believed I was in control of my life. It was my intent to prove the truth of my idea to all the naysayers.

When it was time to let go of the earth and spin out to see the world, I clung on until the wind was heading in the direction I wanted to go. When it felt right I let go of my roots, the land and headed out. I flew over the ground heading north. It was so exhilarating. The wind lifted me, carried me forward. Round and round I tumbled over the ground, sometimes I flew through the air. Then there it was, exactly what I wanted. Timing my move, the wind allowed me to grab a hold of the car. I jumped then I was on my way, heading out to a whole new world. I bent my arms, clinging tightly, and watched the world go by. It was exactly as I knew it would be.

The wind was blowing, almost like it was trying to dislodge me, but I was deciding where I wanted to go. No longer was I at the mercy of the wandering winds. I started laughing, the feeling was so wonderful. Peering over the hood of the car I saw a woman watching me. I waved to her and I swear she waved back. The look in her eye told me she was laughing also. As the car sped onward I watched the world go flying by. I don’t think anyone had ever traveled so fast. Every once in a while I’d pop up and she’d be smiling.

I was seeing and doing things no one of my kind had experienced before. A part of me was so happy, yet another part was sad for the rest of my family. They were missing out on such wonderful sights and sounds. To be truthful they would probably say, “We see the world when we go where the winds take us.”

Perhaps they do, but I was going where I chose, not where the hands of fate would take me. It felt so good. In addition I was riding with someone who seemed to understand what was happening.

Then there it was an area I thought looked interesting. I rose up again to wave good-by but she wasn’t watching. Still I think she knew how much I appreciated her understanding, her willingness to let me hitch a ride. Others might have stopped their car, taken me off the front but not her! She and I were kindred souls.

Am I happy with my choices? Oh yes! I now tell my children you don’t have to just take what life hands you; I am proof you can make that life what you want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "AHA" Book Marketing Moments

Autumn Creek Part 1

The Story Tree Story 2